Sunday, June 7, 2015

My Family System

This week we have been talking about the roles and systems of families which has opened my eyes to just how important and complex the family can be. My family is a huge part of my life, they are all my best friends, but I have never realized until this week just how much of a part they are of defining who I am. I have learned how to interact with other people, express my feelings, listen to others, have fun and love other deeply because of my family. It has been so interesting taking a step back and looking at who plays who in each role in my family. It has really proven to me that God gave us the characteristics we have so we could each bring something special to the family.

 Learning about the different types of theories in family, it has been hard to place my family in one. We definitely do not live by the exchange theory (the "you owe me one" theory) because when we give service to each other, we usually don't expect anything in return which is a valuable lesson we learned from our mother. Through the symbolic interactions theory we can look at the family in a "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" perspective which is a theory that can relate to every family. When we are together as a family, we help each other grow through support, laughter and love. 

I have had my eyes open to not only the importance of the family but to how much the idea of a family is trying to be construed and placed into a worldly definition instead of the Godly definition. God has the idea of families for a reason and it has worked wonderfully over the past decades since, so ask yourself why change it now? 

No comments:

Post a Comment