Sunday, June 7, 2015

Gender Roles

This week I have been thinking about a lot about the different roles of the genders. We can gather ideas of what gender roles are from media, people, books, religions and so forth. I have been asking myself where my definition of "gender roles" came from. My first thought was my religion. We, the women, are so loved in my church. We get to take on roles that no man can ever take and because of that, we are loved, watched over and cared for by the leaders and other members of our church. Men in our church are also given responsibilities that we as woman also respect and treat with great importance. Now, if you switch over to how the media portrays men and women, which one is treated with more respect and love? Men or women? Are either?

From the day to day shows that I watch I see how sometimes women are shown as the stronger sex, that women don't need men to get along because they are insensitive, careless and hold us back from our true potential. I see men who think that they are the stronger sex in the sense that they are more driven, successful and that life is better going from woman to woman every night. Although some would agree that this could be true, I disagree. Men and woman are given the qualities that they have to complete each other. In the eyes of God no man or woman is less or more important, we are all loved for who we are and the roles we play on this Earth. When someone can accept that idea, they will see that we can actually learn so much from the other gender, most importantly how to love and appreciate the other.

Having been in a relationship for the past couple years, I have seen the importance of respecting the other gender's roles. I have learned that the more I support my significant other in his responsibilities, both inside and outside the church, the closer we become as a couple. There is always something that he can teach me and there is always something that he can learn from me. The longer we have been  together the more I have realized ways I can improve myself and support him more fully through communication, service and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment